Becoming an SPC
Congratulations on completing your Implementing SAFe® course—the first step on your path to becoming a Certified SAFe® 5 Program Consultant (SPC). With the demand for Certified SAFe® professionals continuing to grow at an accelerated rate—especially among Global 2000 enterprises—the value of an SPC certification is greater now than ever before.
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Program Consultant (SPC) helps maintain your competitive edge within the marketplace. As an SPC, you are able to:
- Lead your own SAFe classes upon validation
- Network with, and learn from, other SPCs in an exclusive Community of Practice
- Attend monthly webinars to advance your knowledge of SAFe and earn professional development units (PDUs)
- Access toolkits and resources that are essential for being an effective SAFe coach and transformation leader
If you’ve just completed your Implementing SAFe training, the following video will show you everything you need to know about accessing your exam.
View additional information on the SPC certification exam and how to prepare for it.
Now that you are a Certified SAFe® Program Consultant (SPC), it’s time to learn how to get the most out of the new resources available to you.
Take Advantage of the Community
The SAFe Community Platform is your go-to resource for growing your knowledge of SAFe, expanding your Personal Learning Network, managing your certification, and so much more. As a member of the community, we invite you to:
- Access essential training, certification, and coaching resources such as:
- The SPC Certification Kit
- Performance toolkits for assisting with successful SAFe transformations and implementations
- Enablement videos that walk you through how to successfully utilize performance toolkits and teach SAFe courses
- Enhance your skills through professional development videos
- Connect and engage with SAFe community members via exclusive Communities of Practice (CoPs)
Be sure to view the following video for a tour of the SAFe Community Platform to learn how to access the valuable resources listed above.
What can an SPC teach?
A Certified SAFe® 5 Program Consultant (SPC) in good standing can teach the following courses if validated (see validation table below):
- Leading SAFe®
- SAFe® DevOps
- SAFe® Scrum Master
- SAFe® Advanced Scrum Master
- SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager
- SAFe® for Teams
- SAFe® for Government
- SAFe® for Architects
- SAFe® Release Train Engineer
- Agile Software Engineering
- Lean Portfolio Management
- Agile Product Management
SPCs who are interested in teaching the SAFe® Release Train Engineer course should understand the following SPC RTE required trainer qualifications:
- Have attended an RTE course and passed the RTE exam
- Have launched and sustained an Agile Release Train (ART) for three or more consecutive Program Increments (PIs) following the PI Implementation Toolkit guidelines
- Have taught five or more SAFe® courses with an average student feedback score of 4.0 or higher
SPCs who meet these qualifications should register for an RTE Trainer Enablement Learning Plan on the Scaled Agile Community Platform.
NOTE: Only Gold Partner SPCTs and SPCT candidates can qualify to teach the RTE course in a public environment. SPC RTE trainers who are not Gold Partner SPCTs (or candidates) can teach the RTE course in their private environment.
What can a Certified SAFe® 5 Program Consultant Trainer (SPCT) teach?
An SPCT in good standing can teach the same courses as an SPC certified in SAFe 5, plus, if validated:
- SAFe® Release Train Engineer – Public and private classes
- Implementing SAFe®
Recommended class sizes
|Course Title||Minimum Class Size||Maximum Class Size|
|SAFe® for Teams||12||150 (all team members on an Agile Release Train)|
|SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager||12||24|
|SAFe® Scrum Master||12||24|
|SAFe® Advanced Scrum Master||12||24|
|SAFe® DevOps||12||150 (all team members on an Agile Release Train)|
|SAFe® Release Train Engineer||12||24|
|SAFe® for Government||12||42|
|Agile Software Engineering||12||24|
|Implementing SAFe®||12 (two instructors required)||42 (two instructors required)|
|SAFe® for Architects||12||30|
|Lean Portfolio Management||12||30|
|Agile Product Management||12||30|
The following table provides an overview of the role-based SAFe trainings you are able to teach as a Scaled Agile trainer, as well as any additional requirements that must be met to teach the course, as of June 24, 2017.
|Course Title||Course Delivery
|Attend Course||Exam Name||Pass Exam*||Additional Requirements|
|Leading SAFe®||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Agilist (SA)||✓|
|SAFe® for Teams||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP)||✓|
|SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM)||✓|
|SAFe® Scrum Master||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM)||✓|
|SAFe® Advanced Scrum Master||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master (SASM)||✓|
|SAFe® DevOps||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 DevOps Practitioner (SDP)||✓|
|SAFe® Release Train Engineer||Required||Required||SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer (RTE)||✓||See above for additional information.|
|SAFe® for Government||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner (SGP)||✓|
|Agile Software Engineering||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineer (ASE)||✓|
|SAFe® for Architects||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Architect (ARCH)||✓|
|Lean Portfolio Management||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Lean Portfolio Manager (LPM)||✓|
|Agile Product Management||Required||Recommended||SAFe® 5 Agile Product Manager (APM)||✓|
Course Delivery Enablement (CDE) videos are available for each course. These videos are an excellent resource for familiarizing yourself with the course material and preparing to teach a successful class. For all courses, you are required to watch the CDE and pass the exam prior to teaching your first class.
For step-by-step instructions on accessing the CDEs, please refer to the Tour of the SAFe Community Platform video above.
License Courseware and Download Your Kits
Once you are ready to teach a class, you will need to purchase a courseware license for each student. Choose from the following purchasing options:
eCommerce—Recommended for small businesses or organizations early in their SAFe adoption. Access via SAFe Community Platform
SAFe® Learner Subscription (SLS)—Recommended for enterprises creating a continuous Lean-Agile learning environment that is focused on driving complex business transformation. Contact a Sales Solution expert.
The video below walks you through purchasing licenses via eCommerce. For organizations building the world’s most important systems, contact a Sales Solution expert for information on bulk purchase discounts.
Register Your Course
Using the CSV sample roster template downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform, fill out each of the columns following the instructions provided in the READ ME Document for every student in your class. It is crucial that the student names and emails entered into the roster are 100 percent correct!
When the roster is completed, upload it in the Course Admin section of the SAFe Community Platform. The system will automatically tie your class to the licenses you purchased. For instructions on uploading your roster, please refer to the above video.
Once your class has concluded, your students will be eligible to take the certification exam. The process your students will experience as they work toward certification is as follows:
- Once the course roster is uploaded, learning plans for each student will be assigned and a “Action Required: Complete Your Scaled Agile Community Profile” and “You’ve Been Assigned a Learning Plan” emails will be sent. These emails will provide instructions on accessing the SAFe Community Platform, providing course feedback, and taking the certification exam.
- The cost of the exam is included with the course fee, provided the student completes the exam within 30 days of course completion. After 30 days, the student must pay the retake fee to access the exam. The exam expiration date will be displayed on the student’s exam launch button in the Community Platform.
- If the student doesn’t take and pass the exam, the student may purchase a retake for a fee
- If the student doesn’t pass the first retake, the student can purchase a second retake after a 10-day waiting period. Third and subsequent retakes require a 30-day waiting period.
For more information on the exam details and requirements for each course, please follow these links: