SAFe® 4 Practitioner Certification
Exam and certification summary
Required course: SAFe® for Teams
Certification level: Core
Job role description / target audience:
A Certified SAFe® 4 Practitioner (SP) is a Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) team member responsible for using Scrum, Kanban, and Extreme Programming (XP) in a SAFe environment. Key areas of responsibility include planning Program Increments and Iterations, breaking requirements into stories, developing incrementally with built-in quality, demonstrating value at a team and program level, and problem-solving impediments to drive relentless improvement.
Key areas of competency
- Explain SAFe Agile Principles
- Plan Iterations
- Plan Program Increments
- Execute Iterations and demonstrate value
- Improve Agile Release Train processes
- Integrate and work with other teams on the Agile Release Train
- Perform as member of an Agile Team on an Agile Release Train
Exam prerequisite skills or knowledge
These skills and knowledge are highly recommended to successfully pass the exam:
- Familiarity with Scrum, Kanban, and XP
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Working knowledge of software or hardware development processes
The first step toward becoming a SAFe certified professional is to attend the SAFe® for Teams course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Practitioner Exam
- Exam format: Multiple Choice, Multiple Select
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® for Teams course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score: 35 out of 45 (77% passing score)
- Language: English
- Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact email@example.com for any retake questions.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample test – Download questions.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® 4 Practitioner requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® 4 Practitioner PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® 4 Practitioner digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SP Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe journey