Show Notes Episode 3
Learn how SAFe embraces architectural roles, the struggles around identifying value streams and the meaning behind WSJF. You will also learn the minimum an organization can implement and still call it SAFe.
SAFe in the News
From business strategies to successful IT delivery
Daniel Lambert, CIO.com (ICN)
- Architects and agile teams often work in silos to the detriment of organizations
- Architects can prioritize strategic initiatives from other initiatives by identifying key but problematic business capabilities using value streams and several measurement techniques. Architects can also decompose value stages defining a value stream into sub value-stages and breakdown business capabilities into sub-capabilities several levels deep for further exploration, refinement and precision
- Finally, architects can detect, signal and eliminate duplicated sub-projects or sprints that can appear in different Agile Release Trains (‘ART’).
- Business and enterprise architects can be instrumental in the delivery of sophisticated projects with their ability to accomplish these following four tasks:
- Prioritize strategic initiatives,
- Decompose high level value stream/value stages and business capabilities,
- Assist in defining epics and user stories using architecture model elements, and finally
- Eliminate sub-projects or sprints duplicates.
Want to learn how System, Solution, and Enterprise Architects can engage across the organization to collaboratively deliver architectural solutions? Check out the new SAFe for Architects course at scaledagile.com/architects
SAFe in the Trenches
We discuss Value Stream identification, the issues with it and how to overcome common struggles.
Current SPCs – don’t forget the Value Stream and DevOps Workshop Toolkits are available for you to download at community.scaledagile.com
The Audio Community of Practice section of the show is where we answer YOUR most frequently asked and submitted questions. If you have a question for us to answer on air, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The two questions we answer in this episode are:
- What is WSJF and why is it a critical part of SAFe?
- Can SAFe be customized and if so, how?
Meet Your Co-hosts
Vice President of Marketing
Melissa Reeve is the Vice President of Marketing at Scaled Agile, Inc. In this role, Melissa guides the marketing team, helping people better understand Scaled Agile, the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and its mission.
SPCT, SAFe Fellow
Joe Vallone is an experienced Agile Coach and Trainer and has been involved in the Lean and Agile communities since 2002. Mr. Vallone has helped coach several large-scale Agile transitions at Zynga, Apple, Microsoft, VCE, Nokia, AT&T, and American Airlines. Prior to founding Agile Business Connect, Joe Vallone served as an Agile Coach at Ciber, CTO/CIO of We The People, and the VP of Engineering for Telogical Systems.