SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Certification
Exam and certification summary
Required Course: SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineering
Certification Level: Core
Job Role Description / Target Audience:
A Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer (ASE) applies Test-First principles to create alignment between tests and requirements, communicates with Agile modeling, creates shared understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD), builds applications with code and design quality, and applies Lean-Agile principles to optimize the flow of value.
Key Areas of Competency
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test First practice to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Utilize the test infrastructure
- Create tests with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Outline models for communication and representation
- Design from context
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Create an Agile software engineering plan
- Create Minimum Marketable Feature (MMF)
Exam Prerequisite Skills or Knowledge
These skills and knowledge are highly recommended to successfully pass the exam:
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer is to attend the SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineering course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Exam
- Exam format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineering course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact email@example.com for any retake questions.
Exam Study Materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course Materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to reference back to the content that was specifically presented during the class.
- Study Guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice Test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam*, and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Test – Download questions
What Attendees Get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many Software Engineers. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the ASE Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey