SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Certification
Exam and certification summary
Required Course: Lean Portfolio Management
Certification level: Intermediate
Job Role Description / Target Audience:
A Certified SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager (LPM) understands how strategy and investment funding is established, how to apply Agile portfolio operations and Lean governance, and how to build a plan for implementing the Lean Portfolio Management function.
Key Areas of Competency
- Connecting the Portfolio to Enterprise strategy
- Establishing the Portfolio Vision
- Implementing Lean Budgeting and Guardrails
- Establishing flow with the Portfolio Kanban
- Establishing Strategy and Investment funding
- Applying Agile Portfolio Operations
- Applying Lean Governance
- Building a plan for implementing the Lean Portfolio Management function
- Coordinating Value Streams
- Measuring the Lean Portfolio Management function performance
Exam Prerequisite Skills or Knowledge
These skills and knowledge are highly recommended to successfully pass the exam:
- Basic to intermediate understanding of SAFe
- Basic understanding of strategy
- Basic understanding of funding models
- Understanding how to organize value streams
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager is to attend the Lean Portfolio Management course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager Exam
- Exam format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the Lean Portfolio Management course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam Study Materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course Materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to reference back to the content that was specifically presented during the class.
- Study Guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice Test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam*, and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Test – Download questions
What Attendees Get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager requires an exceptional range of skills. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® 4 Lean Portfolio Manager digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the LPM Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey