Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner
Required course: SAFe for Government
Job role description/target audience
A Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner (SGP) is a SAFe change agent who uses principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains (ARTs) in order to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Key areas of competency
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
Learners taking this course are:Business AnalystAgile CoachSAFe Program ConsultantPractice Lead
Exam & Certification Details
Exam prerequisite skills
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner is to attend the SAFe® Government course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Government Practitioner Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® Government course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – SGP4 = 33 out of 45 (73%); SGP5 = 32 out of 45 (71%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course Materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to reference back to the content that was specifically presented during the class.
- Study Guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice Test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam*, and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many government leaders and lead practitioners. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Government Practitioner digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SGP Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey